Saturday, March 29, 2014

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan



"How did you get started?" I venture.

"I was one of his customers," she says..."I was paying for a book one day-I remember this so clearly-when Mr. Penumbra looked me in the eye and said...Rosemary, why do you love books so much?"

"And I said, "Well I don't know...So then I said, "Well, actually, I love books because books are my best friends.' Then he smiled-he has a wonderful smile-and he walked over and got on that ladder, and climbed higher than I'd ever seen him climb."

And with that, a journey through books will begin.

Clay Jannon has taken a job at a mysterious bookstore: one that stays open through all hours of the night, with strange, curious patrons on a secret mission through the over-stretching, tightly stacked shelves.

It doesn't take long before Clay realizes he has stumbled upon something secretive and incredible. Using his connections at google, he finds a way to uncover the pattern of the volumes borrowed from the bookstore. 

But in doing so, has he jeopardized the safety of this underground book ring, the ancient Unbroken Spine?

Then, suddenly, Penumbra has vanished from Seattle. 


This is an exciting, fun read full of mysterious happenings. Perfect for any book-lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment